ATLANTIC REGION MOTOR SPORTS
The governing body of amateur motor sport within Atlantic Canada
ARMS Homepage
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:56 pm 
1st Gear
1st Gear

I'm new to all this so please be gentle. Last time I raced it was aircooled Yamaha RD350/400's at Shubie in the early 80's.

8O

I've downloaded the "ASN CANADA FIA NATIONAL SOLOSPORT REGULATIONS AUTOSLALOM Appendix A Automobile Classes" pdf and have read through it a couple times. I've also been reading through posts on the board but I just can't seem to figure out where my car will fall in.

The car is a 1983 Mustang GL that I've owned since new. It originally was a v6 automatic car. You've probably already guessed from the word "was" that it's no longer what would be considered "stock".

8)

I'd like to take it out and do something with it other than just drive it. Autoslalom seems to be the place with the most appeal to me. Get out and flog it a little, but no worries about pushing to keep up with a pack or worries of some guy slamming in to you or putting you in the grass. I thought about rally with the missus so we could both do something with it, but I can't see the wife enjoying the role of navigator that much. Everything else seems to put my car in too close a proximity with other moving sheet metal for me to want to risk smashing it. If I smah it it's one thing, I can only be mad at myself. If someone else turns it into a wreck after all my work, well....... :angryfire:

I'm not looking to be a class winner, but I also don't want to have to run in a class where I'm not even competitive. I'd like to have a chance to eventually make something like top 5 finishers. No fun in finishing at the back of the pack all the time.

maybe I'll just post up what the car is going to be when I'm done and someone can take a stab at putting it in a class:

Car: 1983 Mustang hatchback

Engine: 302 carburetor. Stock 1989 block and heads. Edlebrock Performer RPM air gap intake. Holley 750 vacuum secondaries. Electric cooling fan. BBK longtube headers, H-pipe and full exhaust.

Transmission: 1995 SN95 (mustang for those who don't know) T5 from a V6 car.

Chassis: Weld in subframe connectors. Strut tower brace. Lower K member brace. Rocker braces tied into subframe connectors. No plans for a roll bar or cage. Woudl just be a 6 point (all behind the front seats) if anything.

Front suspension:Stock K member, seams welded and slid forward 1.5". Engine setback 1". 1985 SN95 lower control arms. Sn95 Steering spindles. Caster/Camber plates. Currently, OEM style struts.

Steering: SN95 2003/04 cobra steering rack.

Rear suspension: Sn95 8.8 rear axle. 3 link rear suspension. Torque arm and panhard bar (maybe watts link, haven't decided if I'm good enough to fabricate one or not). OEM replacement shocks.

Brakes: front- 2002 SN95 PBR brakes (Mustang OEM for that year), Rear- stock SN95 rear disc brakes

Tires and rims: Undecided at this time. Likely to be form an SN95 or s197 and some type of performance (street legal) tire.

Misc: Battery relocated to Rh rear hatch area. Boxed radiator. 1987 GT rear "wing" and all lower body cladding, including front lower bumper fascia. Pic is worth a thousand words, so:

Those fog light holes are going to be re-purposed as front brake cooling ducts.

The car's ground patch is obviously going to be altered in both track width (sn95 stuff is wider than fox mustang stuff) and wheelbase (longer due to pushing K member forward). The weight bias is also going to be altered due to longer wheelbase and setting the engine back and redistributing weight in the chassis. No stirpping things out for weight savings though, it is still going to be a street car. Probably in the 3300-3500 lb range. 3100-3200 lbs if I am lucky, but I don't think it has much chance to get down that low in it's street trim form. I'm not taking interior bits out.

I should note that there's not a lot in the car (besides engine bits) that's bolt on. The chassis and suspension stuff I build myself. Including the bracing, caster/camber plates and the three link rear suspension.

Have welder and lathe, will travel..... 8)

So, anyone have any clue what class I'd fall under? The PDF I downloaded seemed to mostly just describe barely more than a stock vehicle.....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:12 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Luckily the newer rules seem to have a pretty open class for typical american muscle car stuff and it's relatively wide open in terms of modifications. Take a look at the CAM rules, they're pretty straightforward: http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/sc ... 1458925210

I'll try to break down why it wouldn't really fit in any of the other classes:

-Transmission swap from SN95 makes it ineligible for Street, Street Touring and Street Prepared
-K-frame relocation (which changes control arm pickup location) makes it ineligible for Street Modified and possibly even prepared (I do not know the rules above Street Mod very well)

If I were you I'd just run CAM - the only real restriction is you must use 200tw (or higher) tires.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:21 pm 
1st Gear
1st Gear

Scott Montgomerie wrote:
Luckily the newer rules seem to have a pretty open class for typical american muscle car stuff and it's relatively wide open in terms of modifications. Take a look at the CAM rules, they're pretty straightforward: http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/sc ... 1458925210

I'll try to break down why it wouldn't really fit in any of the other classes:

-Transmission swap from SN95 makes it ineligible for Street, Street Touring and Street Prepared
-K-frame relocation (which changes control arm pickup location) makes it ineligible for Street Modified and possibly even prepared (I do not know the rules above Street Mod very well)

If I were you I'd just run CAM - the only real restriction is you must use 200tw (or higher) tires.

Thanks for the reply, very informative!

That does sound like it fits my particular car. CAM-T seems almost written specifically for it. Even uses "Mustang -93" as an example.

So, do I have this right:

I pay my dues to join a club/organization, tell the organizers of the event what class I want to run that day (according to my car modifications), pass tech and then just run?

Doesn't that mean I could end up running in a field of 1?

Not that it would bother me to be the only one running in a class as I'd mostly be looking to better my previous times and just have an overall good time anyways....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:53 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

great white wrote:

http://solotime.info/pax/rtp2016.html

PAX is meant to equalize the field by handicapping cars by class.

If you come out to an event and see a bunch of guys punching madly at their smart phone, they are not playing Pokemon Go, they are trying to figure out their results lol.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:13 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Pick someone that you think you will competitive against, and try to beat their time
This is easier to do after you have each done your first run :orglaugh:
There is no reason for a rookie to try to make things more complicated than that as far as trying to win the event/season
It'll be more fun that way too

MMSC #12/ASP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:42 am 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Or just bring a friend and let them drive the car as well. There are 3 of us sharing my car and the only times we compare are our own.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:26 am 
1st Gear
1st Gear

Steve Phillips wrote:
great white wrote:

http://solotime.info/pax/rtp2016.html

PAX is meant to equalize the field by handicapping cars by class.

If you come out to an event and see a bunch of guys punching madly at their smart phone, they are not playing Pokemon Go, they are trying to figure out their results lol.

Ah, i think a light bulb just came on.

Pick a class the car fits in, run, apply a correction factor (handicap if you prefer) to the time based on your class = overall standing.

Seems to make sense to me if thats how it works....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:37 am 
ARMS Performance Solo Director
ARMS Performance Solo Director

great white wrote:

Ah, i think a light bulb just came on.

Pick a class the car fits in, run, apply a correction factor (handicap if you prefer) to the time based on your class = overall standing.

Seems to make sense to me if thats how it works....

Yes, this is it exactly! See you soon! Nice car, I had an 83 once, for a weekend, then it was gone. I'll tell you the story when I see you. Lol