ARMS Homepage
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie questions
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:10 pm 
1st Gear
1st Gear

Hi All,
I have never done any auto slaloming, but am interested in learning about trying. I am assuming one would need to complete a school before competing. Is this correct?

Aside from a car, helmet and no loose objects in car, is there anything else I need to prepare? Numbers? Any specific car prep? Are cabriolets permitted?

Any guidance would be appreciated,

Thanks,
Joe

Post subject: Re: Newbie questions
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:28 pm 
ARMS Performance Solo Director

No school is necessary, but you will learn a lot! For your first event, don't worry about numbers or classes, figure out which class you'll be in if you can, and get a feel for it. If you have a Snell approved helmet rated 05 or newer, bring it too. If not, we have loaners to get you started. A membership to a club will be needed, but can be purchased on site, but preferably ahead of time if possible. Have fun is a must too, but that shouldn't be a problem :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:17 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Just show up early and latch on to a friendly experienced person :orglaugh:
Someone like Brian, except more friendly

MMSC #12/ASP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:48 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Hello Joe,

Having your car classed prior to the event is a bit plus. Saves us from doing it during a busyish day.
Here is a link for the rules. http://www.asncanada.com/wp-content/upl ... ions-R.pdf Car classing starts on Page 35. Its can look very intense. If your car is modified those rules start at page 115. Have a look, and see if you can sort out what class your car is in. If you start to get lost. (Normal) Post in here, your car, and what is done to it. Any aftermarket upgrades, or even Dealer installed upgrade will affect your classing. ASCC likes to keep everyone in there class, that way they tend to understand what all the classing is about.
And do not let any of the classing scare you. Everyone finds classing a bugger. Stock Street cars are pretty easy, but once you leave stock, its a hole new ballgame. lol. But nothing we cant do here.

Day of is super easy. Show up a bit early, this will give you a chance to see how things play out. Showing up late (closer to when registration closes) is still fine, but it will look very busy and confusing closer to the start time. lol If your early it will give you a chance to join the club and register for the event without to much rush. We have loaner helmets if you do not have one, they are shared with everyone, You will be givin a number, and you will already know your class. We keep window markers so you can put your number and class on your car. Since you said cabriolets, i am going to take a guess that you wont have any side windows to wright on as they will be down, along with your roof. (because its going to be sunny and nice out) So pick up some painters tape that is easy to see on your paint. We normally have green at the events, but if you have a green car, we wont see the numbers. lol.

Outside that, there are lots of people willing to lend a hand for learning the course. We will go over cone rules and penalties during the drivers meeting. We can also get a experienced person to ride with you. Show you how to read the course and so on. Everyone works the course as well. Picking up cones and so on. We have a pretty good group of people coming out to events. Pretty much everyone is willing to help or explain stuff to you. Or willing to point to the person who will know.

Bring lots of clothing. The weather can change quickly. Bring something to snack on and extra fluids. We will have a cooler of water, but it can go quickly some days.

AX-1995 Honda Civic CX FSP
RR-1995 Honda DelSol VTEC GT3
2009 Canadian Solosprint Champion.
ASCC Race Director.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:56 am 
4th Gear
4th Gear

From another noobie autocrosser:

For the car classing the easiest way is to post on here what you'll be driving, include any mods, what's on it for tires and what you think the class is. There are people here that can tell you what car class it is in less time then it will take you to find the right section in the regs (and those same people will likely check the class when you get to the event anyway :orglaugh: )

Ask to be put in the second (or later) run group if possible. Working the first group lets you see how things work before it's your turn to drive.

When doing the track walk try to walk with an experienced person. They'll usually point out the key parts of the course where a lot of time can be gained or lost. If the event allows it, take that experienced person in the car with you the first couple runs.

Don't get spooked by the in car videos. It's much easier to follow the course when behind the wheel than in a video..

We used masking tape for numbers. Someone usually has a marker for writing on glass. If you are going to do a lot of events the magnetic number boards are worth it.

If there is time for "fun runs" at the end of the day jump in a car with an experienced driver, or let them take you around in your car.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:52 pm 
1st Gear
1st Gear

Thanks guys! Classing should be easy for me. as my car is 100% stock, with street tires. 2003 Porsche 996 C2 Cab, presently with Falken FK453s. I have a helmet, so no problem there. I'm assuming you are assigned a number at the event? Do you keep this same number for the season?

So what club membership is required? ARMS? I have to admit, I'm a little confused with all the clubs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:04 pm 

ASCC is the club you'd likely want to join, being in Halifax and doing autoslalom. When you join ASCC you are then also a member of ARMS, simply because ASCC is an ARMS club. It is confusing. Lol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:54 pm 
ARMS Treasurer
ARMS Treasurer

We will have a list of available numbers at registration. You will be assigned a number and you should keep it all season.
If you have a particular number you want, let me know and we will see what we can do (depending on other competitors/car classing).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:38 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

We like for people to read the rulebook and try to get an idea of their classing. If you have questions, you can ask anyone on the solo committee, post here, or message me on FB. I can usually class most stuff off the top of my head but I can sometimes be really busy the morning of an event.

Where your car is completely stock it is simple, go to the "Street" appendix and find the listing for that 911. Keep in mind there may be multiple listings for your generation in different classes. Ie turbo cars in one class, NA cars in another.

kenmackay wrote:
Ask to be put in the second (or later) run group if possible. Working the first group lets you see how things work before it's your turn to drive.

Actually, don't do this. We need to run sets of classes together and we randomize which group starts first. I'm not trying to to sound mean here, but we can't start accommodating individual requests.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:08 pm 
ARMS AutoSlalom Director
ARMS AutoSlalom Director

I always tell people to show up early so they can get everything ready and walk the course with someone experienced as much as possible.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:16 am 
1st Gear
1st Gear

Brian Partridge wrote:
ASCC is the club you'd likely want to join, being in Halifax and doing autoslalom. When you join ASCC you are then also a member of ARMS, simply because ASCC is an ARMS club. It is confusing. Lol

Thanks all! OK, I found the PDF application form for ASCC (as online is broken), but there is no $$ amount?? Must be based on a donation system huh? :D I'm hoping to attend one of the early events, even as a spectator, so hopefully I can sort out membership and such at the event. Look forward to meeting you guys!

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:24 pm 

Membership for ASCC is $30. Different clubs vary in rate, talk to them about joining on your first event, there's a special rate on your first event/Membership combo!

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:59 am 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

There used to be a classing checklist sheet. You marked off what you did or didn't do to the car and that helped you figure out your class. Does something like that still exist anywhere for the current rule set?

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:07 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Tim Dine wrote:
There used to be a classing checklist sheet. You marked off what you did or didn't do to the car and that helped you figure out your class. Does something like that still exist anywhere for the current rule set?

lol No thats long gone. That stopped when we switched to SCCA car classing. Maybe 4 years ago or so....... lol.

AX-1995 Honda Civic CX FSP
RR-1995 Honda DelSol VTEC GT3
2009 Canadian Solosprint Champion.
ASCC Race Director.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:28 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Someone on another forum actually made up a basic printable sheet for SCCA classing, but I cannot find it anymore. It doesn't cover every possibility but did a good job of getting the basics.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:48 pm 
1st Gear
1st Gear

From what I can see, my car would be "AS" classification, so I think I have that sorted 8) Hoping to make the first event this weekend as SSW, so long as I can get the Honeydoo list done Sat.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:07 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

I think this might be the sheet Scott is talking about. It's a couple years old, but it's good for basic info.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... htext=true

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:40 am 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

I'm starting to get it. Does this make sense and I've got it?

Find what class the car is, for arguments sake lets use E
Approved mods take the car to SP, there are no points you can do any or all of the approved mods for the class
The SP puts you in Street Prepared where your PAX for ESP is used to determine your placing within your class of Street Prepared and overall.
No individual class awards (down to the level of ESP),

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:00 pm 
ARMS AutoSlalom Director
ARMS AutoSlalom Director

Tim Dine wrote:
I'm starting to get it. Does this make sense and I've got it?

Find what class the car is, for arguments sake lets use E
Approved mods take the car to SP, there are no points you can do any or all of the approved mods for the class
The SP puts you in Street Prepared where your PAX for ESP is used to determine your placing within your class of Street Prepared and overall.
No individual class awards (down to the level of ESP),

Depending on how I setup my Celica, it's either GS or STS or DSP so don't start with base class. Find out which category the car falls in with the modifications first. Then find which class in that category it falls under.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:03 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Tim, you've pretty much got it down. With the exception of prefixes like Ming mentionned,

Another weird example was my Fiesta ST; it began in HS, but there is no "HSP" as you move up.

It went HS->STX->CSP->SMF Which is super bizarre because SMF has a substantially better PAX than CSP :?

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:15 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

The ST classes confused me. I remember back when...