ATLANTIC REGION MOTOR SPORTS
The governing body of amateur motor sport within Atlantic Canada
ARMS Homepage
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:42 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Any of you miata guru's know if an Na balljoint will work in my Nb upper control arms. Mazda says I have to buy the whole control arm even though the joint appears to be pressed in.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:16 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Advanced Autosports sells a replacement upper ball joint for the NAs but it says they do not fit the NBs:

Quote:
Replacement Upper Ball Joint for 1990-1997 NA Mazda Miatas. These ball joints are not available separately from the dealer, you must order a complete control arm for big bucks. These ball joints are manufactured by Moog. The number one name in aftermarket chassis parts. Note: these do not fit 1999-2005 NB Miatas.

https://www.advanced-autosports.com/pro ... 7-new-item

Since that site doesn't offer one for NBs it doesn't look likely that one is available. Also checked rockauto and they offer a separate upper balljoint (including the moog one) for the NA but not for the NB (NB only available with the control arm).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:58 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

I assume you guys are members of Mazda Motorsports? They only ship to the border, but OEM parts are quite discounted and membership is free
Might make the replacement arm less painful

MMSC #12/ASP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:02 am 
Overdrive
Overdrive

I am surprised no one has found a Moog replacement upper ball joint for the NB. I'd bet my house that it exists. Mazda would not build a "special" one off ball joint for this application. Everybody knows the Moog K500210 part number for the NA, so I am sure Moog probably makes one for the NB but they don't realize it. Someone in the parts industry needs to take apart the NB joint and go through their inventory and compare it with other part numbers. I'd bet something like an RX7 is exactly the same. Or even a Honda application...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:38 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

My thought exactly Bruce man. Someone must know what jiont that is. Good to hear your still alive and kicking. Was going to email you a while back but wasnt sure you were interested in old race buddies anymore. Superbike this weekend?
No Im not with the times yet Mike. Sounds like a plan but I always seem to get beat up at the border. I like to know how much Im paying. I hate surprises.
Keep me posted Kenny. Im sure you'll uncover some trade secrets with your fine investigative skills.
Thanks guys for taking the time. Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:32 am 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Madza Motorsports used to be a good deal but with the exchange rate these days and having to go to the border to get stuff I'm not sure it's worth it for OEM stuff, though haven't compared prices recently.

Seems the hole in the NA and NB control arms are the same, but the threads on the NB bj need to be longer (NB knuckle is thicker). So you can put an NA bj in an NB control arm and it would fit on an NA, but it wouldn't on an NB. See:
https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=637947

The other way would be the put NA knuckles on the NB and use the NA bj in the NB control arm, but that seems like a a lot of work/cost compared to just replacing the control arm. See:
https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=574237

Note in that thread from 2015, Keith from Flyin' Miata contacted Moog about a bj for the NB, but since Fylin' Miata don't offer one for it suspect he didn't have any luck getting one from them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:23 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

You may want to change some of your abreviations. Just sayin

Last edited by Brian Bent on Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:29 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

haha you funny! - That second link is a good thread about this issue. I would do the same as he did.

Brian Bent wrote:
Was going to email you a while back but wasnt sure you were interested in old race buddies anymore. Superbike this weekend?

Oh yeah, 70's doo Man! Sorry I haven't been around. Since the spec Miata series was murdered, racing interest took a back seat. However I do plan to get back involved sometime. Most likely join the Rally scene. I still have my tube frame car and still planning to get it rebuilt.

Last year I took on a personal massive construction project and it has consumed all of my spare time to date. Phase 1 of this project is just about complete and things are up and running so I'm pretty happy with that. I intended to come out to Superbike (as I usually do) but unfortunately I am now committed to my project for this weekend too. I did get to have 1 day off recently (in the last 100 days). So I'm not dead yet, just taking a hiatus from racing for a bit.

Sorry for the hijack.....please continue....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:09 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Another problem is that mazda says there are 5 options for a 2000 miata. Doesnt seem possible. Can I text you Bruce with a couple questions

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:53 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Brian Bent wrote:
Another problem is that mazda says there are 5 options for a 2000 miata. Doesnt seem possible. Can I text you Bruce with a couple questions

sure - anytime!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:41 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Text me at 902-824-4083 so I have your #

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:00 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

You know if moog makes a replacement upper balljoint /control arm assembly. If so who sells it. Carquest?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:34 am 
1st Gear
1st Gear

I have searched over the years for an upper ball joint but no success for either NB miata for the front or my STi for the rear...cheapest place I found for the STi was PartSouq auto parts in United Arab Emirates....would never have believed it but got subaru suspension parts for 40-80% less than anywhere else and in under 5 days. Just replaced my lower ball joints, quite a bang when it popped out. Now i'm looking for new alignment bolts, $5.78us each but wont ship from states or 949 racing $141.65us for 8 shipped.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:06 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Thanks everyone, guess mazda is the only option when it comes to nb upper control arm balljoint assmbly to replace the upper balljoint. Appreciate the feedback.