ATLANTIC REGION MOTOR SPORTS
The governing body of amateur motor sport within Atlantic Canada
ARMS Homepage
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:26 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Looking to replace some parts on the miata. Power steering rack is $2500. Standard non powered rack is $650. My concern is the non powered will require too many steering wheel rotations thus too much steering input for race purposes. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:45 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Our e30 runs with no power steering, no issues, with effort or rotations, I need to shuffle in corner 2, that is the only spot.
I can't see any reason to have power steering on a small light car that runs a small tire.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:11 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

If it's whether or not you'll notice the different in the ratios between a manual rack and a powered rack I'd say no. The NA and NB have 15:1 and 18:1 steering ratios for power and manual racks (turns lock to lock are something like 3.17 and 2.65).

If you were turning the wheel 90 deg in Turn 2, with the powered rack then you'll only need to turn around 105 deg with the manual rack. It terms of feel the manual rack should be a little lighter since it turns slower.

Some discussion on the mazda forum: http://mazdaracers.com/topic/1997-depow ... nual-rack/

BTW would have thought a powered rack was cheaper. The manual rack was not as common.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:40 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Most of the hondas at AMP have a manual rack and probably 4 turns LTL. No issues there, we only have to shuffle steer in 2.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:17 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Thanks guys. Kenny that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. Not going to power steering just have to do some work to my rack and looking for the cheapest option.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:56 am 
1st Gear
1st Gear

Brian Bent wrote:
Looking to replace some parts on the miata. Power steering rack is $2500. Standard non powered rack is $650. My concern is the non powered will require too many steering wheel rotations thus too much steering input for race purposes. Any thoughts?

For racing purpose, Power Steering is the best option. Non powered rack will not make your race thrilling.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:46 am 
Irregular Member
Irregular Member

I added an aftermarket UTV power steering unit and a 1:5/1 quickner to the 914/6 with it's 11" wide front radial slicks and 7deg of caster this year and found the following:

The quickner/powersteering additon resulted in reaction to steering inputs that would turn in so incredibly quick on autocrosses (and bite and stick hard!) that you had to counter the steering back to compensate (which i'm sure one would get used too with familiarity). However the rear end of the car was extremely jealous and would snap oversteer with zero warning at the weirdest of times (...not when the front bit in hard quickly, when one would expect the rear to come around for instance?). Between Wade and I on day #1 of the Digby Double we spun 11 times :roll:

So out came the quickner and we left the power steering in. Just the ticket for Autoslalom with it turned up about 1/4 strength. But on the track it was just overboosted all the time even at that setting. For a normal 10-15 lap race I'd probably turn it all the way off, and for the JCM I left it just barely on for the whole three hours which helped me make it through but wasn't really all that needed.

Stacy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:38 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Stacy Chapman wrote:
I added an aftermarket UTV power steering unit and a 1:5/1 quickner to the 914/6 with it's 11" wide front radial slicks and 7deg of caster this year and found the following:

The quickner/powersteering additon resulted in reaction to steering inputs that would turn in so incredibly quick on autocrosses (and bite and stick hard!) that you had to counter the steering back to compensate (which i'm sure one would get used too with familiarity). However the rear end of the car was extremely jealous and would snap oversteer with zero warning at the weirdest of times (...not when the front bit in hard quickly, when one would expect the rear to come around for instance?). Between Wade and I on day #1 of the Digby Double we spun 11 times :roll:

So out came the quickner and we left the power steering in. Just the ticket for Autoslalom with it turned up about 1/4 strength. But on the track it was just overboosted all the time even at that setting. For a normal 10-15 lap race I'd probably turn it all the way off, and for the JCM I left it just barely on for the whole three hours which helped me make it through but wasn't really all that needed.

Stacy

Is there anything in the design of the quickener that would prohibit it being installed in reverse? My car has a 10:1 rack, about 370 degrees lock to lock. Very heavy on the arms. A 1.5 quickener in reverse would, on the surface anyways, seem an alternative to buying a 15:1 rack.

05 Subaru Legacy GT Track Wagon
2002 Pro Challenge
Kentville