ATLANTIC REGION MOTOR SPORTS
The governing body of amateur motor sport within Atlantic Canada
ARMS Homepage
It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:06 pm 
Irregular Member
Irregular Member

My old FMC balancer isn’t liking aluminum rims lately and needs replaced. I brought a guy down from Quebec to calibrate it, but he said it is working fine ...but yet, unless you keep pre-checking by rotating it around six times until you get a repeatable “before reading” the balance is crap on everything but a static balance (and even then it still doesn’t work sometimes)

Obviously I can’t afford a road force machine for just my own little personal shop, but I am in the market for a new, accurate, affordable balancer and I’m wondering what would be the best model? ...Hunter? Ranger? Coats? Snapon/John Bean?

Thoughts? Ideas in where to buy?

Thanks
Stacy

Last edited by Stacy Chapman on Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:48 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

I use an old school $99 PA bubble balancer. You'd be surprised at how accurate they are.

GT4 - 93/2000 Mazda Miata
GT5 - 89 Suzuki Swift GTI
GT6 - 86 CRX
ITE - 88 Camaro 1LE
ITA - 89/90 CRX Si
ITB - 85 Civic 1500S/89 Suzuki Swift GTI
ITC - 85/86 Civic
SM - 93/2000 Mazda Miata
Targa NL - 88 CRX Si
Rally Sprint - 95 Del Sol VTEC
Unlimited - All of the above!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:39 pm 
Irregular Member
Irregular Member

I used Arnold's at the track one day when I forgot to balance a set of new tires on rims (...it shook so bad I couldn't get a lap in) and I must say I was very impressed on how good the bubble balancer actually worked taking all the shake away, but for some of my fancy German machinery I'm gonna need something a little more fancy I think :roll:

Stacy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:02 pm 
Irregular Member
Irregular Member

After getting some crazy quotes for a new machine I’m wondering if this will solve my problems?

https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-Universal-Adapter-40mm-Shafts

Yes, it will take longer to balance and modern rims are supposed to be hubcentric ...but it does seem to be the way that some rims are machined that is throwing things out of whack for me?

Stacy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:27 pm 
Irregular Member
Irregular Member

Well I’ve had some success with the bolt mounting for my balancer but it’s still not 100% ...maybe more like 80% better which is not quite good enough for me (but I did buy a $100 Chinese version of the adaptor)
Attachment:
D0BD84C3-3037-4CCF-94A6-610DE6EC10E2.jpeg
D0BD84C3-3037-4CCF-94A6-610DE6EC10E2.jpeg [ 80.59 KiB | Viewed 2696 times ]

So currently I’m down between the Atlas and the Ranger as a replacement, anybody have experience with either?

Thanks
Stacy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:33 pm 
Irregular Member
Irregular Member

Well I think I bought this by clicking on the Babco online buy button in Vancouver today? (No one answering the phones or my emails since Dec 20th, and ya think having a week long Boxing Day event would involve, I dunno ...being open?)

With the free shipping it works out to about half price ...and there seems to be an additional truck cone shown in the picture, fingers crossed?

Stacy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:36 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

I looked at getting a balancer for convenience, and was surprised by how expensive they were
I got my lift from Babco and love it, but it's tough (for me) to rationalize a balancer that costs more than the lift :orglaugh:

MMSC #12/ASP